Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Jacob Is Finally Here!

Jacob has finally made his arrival on 8-3-10 and 7:10 9lbs. 1oz and 20 1/2 inches long. It was so strange, I didn't even know I was in labor when I went to the hospital. I had called my doctor about something else and she said that they wanted to check and see if my water had broken. I went to be checked out and no, my water hadn't broken, but surprise, you're already almost dilated to 5! The nurse said you're not leaving this room today without a baby. Wow! It all was so sudden. I made my phone calls to family and sat there alone in the room waiting and trying to take in the idea of going to be a mommy by the end of the day.

After a few hours I asked for an epidural, and was I ever nervous about getting it. My heart rate shot up and I actually started hyperventalating a little. I didn't know I was hyperventilating, I just noticed my head started feeling woozy. After that the epidural seemed to be working...I say seemed to be. As my labor advanced I noticed there was a spot it wasn't working. It was the entire lower half of my stomach and I was in pain! As time went on I was screaming every time I had a contraction. I was hyperventilating again due to being in so much pain, and my husband had to make me focus on him and do my breathing. At the end of my labor I had to fight the urge to push because I wasn't quite dilated to 10 I had a rim left and they told me if I pushed I would bleed..great incentive to not push. I really tried, most of the time I held it off but my body just did it on it's own at times. I was begging the doctor to let me and was so relieved when she said yes. I think pushing was the easiest part of the labor because it felt like a huge relief to be able to do it. I pushed for about 19 minutes and he arrived. My labor was a grand total of 8 hours.

Everyone is doing great right now. I had a very nice recovery, I was up walking around that evening. I am of course a little sore, but I think I am doing great compared to what some people have told me how they were feeling afterward. Jacob had a bit of Jaundice but he was never bad enough to be treated. We had to go to the pediatrician a few times, and on Monday they said it was going down. We go back on Friday to check and see if he has gained any weight, the last appointment he hadn't yet.

Even though the labor was rough, I would do it all over again without a second thought. I am so happy to finally have the family I have been praying for for over 2 years. God has truly blessed us.

No comments: